This forum is now just an archive. Use the new Q&A website
It is currently Thu Apr 17, 2014 11:35 am

All times are UTC + 2 hours

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 9 posts ] 
 Post subject: How to Serial Number
PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2005 8:50 pm 
I'm trying to apply tinycrp for my business. There is some problems.
We are digital camera / notebook retailer (buy and sell no production). Normally we buy a lot of model in each order and each camera have its own serail no (random). When we sell we have to know which one still in stock and which one has been sold? and to whom? example we buy 40pcs camera (8models) in a order.

1) Do I have to put 40lines in the material recieve form with 32 duplicated models to record all serial no?
2) When 1 camera was sold with a serial no. The serial no will been taken off the stock and no longer available in sale menu. Right?

Thank you

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 17, 2006 6:58 am 

So, I continue to investigate recording serial numbers.

Assume I order 5 widgets. When I am processing the "receive goods" action, I expect that I should split lines, and then record the serial number of each widget in the tracking number for each widget resulting from the split.

However, split lines seems to work backwards to me.

If I have a line for "5 widgets", and I click "split lines", I get the split dialog. Logically, I would expect the value to default to "5", and the result would be that the single line is split into 5.

Also, when I attach a tracking number to a widget, and then later sell it, should upstream or downstream traceability show me the order to which the widget was assigned?

Thanks!

--phil

Post subject: serial numbers
PostPosted: Wed May 17, 2006 7:23 am 

... just to say that I am interested in the matter and that I'm going to review this at a leter point in time - perhaps in 1-2 weeks.
Zrin

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 17, 2006 7:35 am 

Another idea -- if it were easy to split all of one item into individual entries, and then the confirmation dialog when executing the "make picking" action provided a "Lot Tracking" field, then it would be easy to use a barcode scanner and tab from field to field.

--phil

Post subject: entering serial numbers
PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2009 7:01 pm 

Just a simple question. Where it is possible to enter the serial number? Production lot can be used as a serial number but printed reports will show plank on the serial number row?

Cheers,

-Aki

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2009 10:33 pm 

the ability to track individual items via unique serial numbers (that are not automatically serialised) is a vital function to a massive range of industries including:
-electronics distribution / retail
-jewelery distribution / retail
-automotive/aerospace component manufacture / distribution / retail etc...

basically the distribution and retail of any and all items that have individual warranties an service schedules etc...

its not only important to be able to enter items in "batch" (multiple serial numbers for one shipment) by either data feed or barcode scan, as well as manage the entire lifecycle of each "item" as an individual :

purchase -> stock-in -> stock-move -> sell -> warranty repair/service -> warranty return to stock/scrap

currently ALL commercial systems enable this (including such simple applications like Sage Line50 with a "serial number" add-on). Yet not a single of the open-source accounting/erp/crm packages support this core feature for an extremely wide variety of industries and sectors... the compiere/adempiere world say that such feature requires a majorr rework of the underlying system and thus not possible using the application dictionary, the OFBIZ framework is feature poor in the extreme, only openERP is now finally ALMOST THERE....

lets hope the powers that be at tiny implement this feature. I would be happy to input any help you may need in functional specifications, or even if you can give me a pointer as to where in the source code i can "play around" to see what i can do it would be great... I would of course support the open source distribution of such a feature... and it can really be marketed as a killer feature for many, many high-value discrete product industries.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2009 10:34 pm 

Folks,

we did that for Anevia.com for their VOD servers tracking (split the moves in every picking). Works great so far.

To streamline the process I coded the mrp_prodlot_autosplit module in extra addons, you can grab it from here (using Bazaar or by manually donwloading the few module files).
https://code.launchpad.net/~openerp-com ... tra-addons

So far it works great in production. We also adapted Anevia invoice/picking reports to display each serial number indeed.

As explained in the __terp__.py doc, the only missing feature is splitting production orders so that it's also trivial to encode individual production orders.

This is simple safe code you can use it without thinking too much. I hope Tiny will someday include it in the addons. Hope this helps.

Raphaël Valyi.

CEO and OpenERP consultant at
http://www.akretion.com
http://twitter.com/rvalyi

Last edited by rvalyi on Thu Feb 19, 2009 12:07 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2009 11:38 pm 

i'll check that out . thanks

I really hope that tiny include this feature as standard! many people evaluating openerp for the first time will not be aware of the availability of this feature... and its a dealbreaker for any retailer/distributor/service company dealing in high-value items

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2009 2:40 pm 

I still don't know how to figure this out. If I look example packing list report there is line items "product" "traking" "Serial" "Qty"....
Where should I enter serial number to the system that it is shown on that printout? It have to be standard feature since printout is standard?

Cheers,

-Aki

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 9 posts ]