This forum is now just an archive. Use the new Q&A website
It is currently Sun Apr 20, 2014 5:09 am

All times are UTC + 2 hours

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 4 posts ] 
 Post subject: Which OS is preferred to use for installing OpenERP?
PostPosted: Sat Mar 10, 2012 5:08 pm 

Which Operating System is preferred to use for installing OpenERP? And why?

Post subject: Re: Which OS is preferred to use for installing OpenERP?
PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2012 11:33 am 

everyone has their own preference. personally I use ubuntu, because it is simple and it works. I see people use debian, rhel, freebsd, mac, and windows although tbh I never really understood why people go to such hassle to make it work on windows.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2012 4:54 pm 

gdaddy wrote:
everyone has their own preference. personally I use ubuntu, because it is simple and it works. I see people use debian, rhel, freebsd, mac, and windows although tbh I never really understood why people go to such hassle to make it work on windows.

The 'hassle' is quite simple and understandable when you, like me, don't have any knowledge of linux :)

And also, installing on windows is no hassle at all. There is a nice installer in which you only have to click next next next to install OpenERP on windows 8)

I do think that when you have knowledge of linux, it's the better choice for OpenERP because it's its native OS as far as I know. You have more control over the product in that way I believe. But I'm not sure if that's the case :)

PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2012 10:02 pm 

it is not about more control so much, but things like choosing the database version, bug fixes in dependencies, upgrading, developing, backup are all nearly automatic in linux. and to be honest learning linux is pretty easy.

Over the weekend I replaced about 50% of our windows desktops with linux ones. Never told the users I was doing it, and they didn't even realise, just thought it was a new version of windows. Slept in this morning, didn't get a single support call, walked in the office and everyone was working and none of them had ever used linux before. Its not as hard as you think.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 4 posts ]