This forum is now just an archive. Use the new Q&A website
It is currently Thu Apr 24, 2014 7:32 am

All times are UTC + 2 hours

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 12 posts ] 
 Post subject: Is OpenERP as good as OpenBravo3 and Adempiere?
PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2011 11:17 am 

Hi everyone,

I know this sounds noob, but do forgive me. I seen some threads on this kind of comparisons but a bit dated.

So like to inquire again.

Actually I plan to have a portal like that allow me to manage supplier chain, purchase, sales, basic crm, etc across multiple users. I believe using ERP is a way to go. Actually it is for SME size company.

I seen some demo and reviews on OpenERP, OpenBravo3, Adempiere and OpenTap. But I can't decide what's best.

Is OpenERP easy to customize to suits business process requirements? What kind of language do i need to use? PHP or Java?

I plan to initially roll out on a shared hosting like hostgator (linux environment) or cloud services. Can OpenERP works too?

Any help? Thanks.

Post subject: Re: Is OpenERP as good as OpenBravo3 and Adempiere?
PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2011 1:02 pm 

If you wants/has to go with an open source product and has to manage manufacturing, there are IMHO today only 2 candidates: OpenERP or Adempiere.

++ OpenERP: Basics in all modules just works, continuing maintenance and enhancements in basic modules, python + postgres 100% open source, good GUI.

++ Adempiere: As coming from Compiere maybe more functional complete, Java base will probably run more stable and scales better.

I always had the impresion that OpenBravo has good marketing but a not so good product.

For hosting get a virtual server with a linux distro you know well and get the hands on.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2011 1:16 pm 

So OpenERP isn't stable and scale that well unlike adempiere? hmm.. how come?

and openERP is only suitable for manufacturing industry?

how about managing whoesale, purchase,sales, etc stuff?

PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2011 1:50 pm 

IMHO OpenERP is more suitable for sales, purchases etc than in manufacturing

depends on your needs!

PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2011 2:19 pm 

chuawenching wrote:
So OpenERP isn't stable and scale that well unlike adempiere? hmm.. how come?

and openERP is only suitable for manufacturing industry?

how about managing whoesale, purchase,sales, etc stuff?

OpenERP can scale and be stable... it all depends on how well you manage your environment. And what your scalability needs are.

OpenERP is suitable for other industries as well... for instance, Medical is used in the healthcare industry.

And it manages wholesale, purchase, sales...

You can start by reading the OpenERP book, to learn more of its capabilities

Hope this helps...

PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2011 2:56 pm 

Not knowing Adempiere well, I'd say one of the biggest advantages of OpenERP is the customisability.
Modules can do simple things like adding an input field, but you can also do amazing things in modules. And in some cases, you have to :)

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2011 5:11 am 

Thanks everyone.

Actually I ask an earlier question somewhere in the forum.

Should I have OpenERP in a portal like Joomla (like a OpenERP portlet in Joomla) or should i have the other way round (when in OpenERP, i can add custom modules for external modules like email)?

Coz you know in portal i have document management workflow as well as email, calendar, etc.

Any tips for me please? I am a bit lost on this somehow.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2011 11:45 am 

if you need an e-commerce solution, you should go with an e-commerce portal solution, such as Joomla, Drupal (with Drupal Commerce) or Magento. Now, if you need an app for running your business, you need OpenERP. What you need to do is integrate both solutions, something that has been done hundreds of times and there is documentation about it.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2011 3:28 pm 

Thanks morrillo.

Can you offer some assistance on where i can get around with integrating both solutions? Any materials or documentation specific i should read? any help please?

Thanks again.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 12, 2011 9:56 pm 

Hi

I'm replying to an old(ish) thread just to add my experience to the forum for anybody looking for the same information. Our "35-employee but growing" company evaluated many open source ERP projects and narrowed the choice down to Open ERP or ADempiere. The strengths of each in my opinion (as a user client) are:

ADempiere:
- Slightly better out-of-the-box functionality in many areas (small things like: automatically assigning costs, e.j. shipping costs, according to preset rules to give more valid true product cost information; allowing closing of periods on a per journal basis; sophisticated multi-company accounting system). The design seems more streamlined and geared towards real business use, whereas in Open ERP you have to configure everything to work the way you want.
- More stable (not a single error in limited testing). Uses "industrial strength" Java platform.
- More difficult to get started with (both from an install and a user perspective).
- Probably more expensive to implement if you hire an outside implementor (we were quoted around $50,000 usd)
- Is owned by the community (which is good and bad)

Open ERP:
- Much easier to extend due to modular approach and "easy" Python code.
- Easy to install.
- Bigger, more active, community doing smaller implementations. Probably easier to find alternative companies for support.
- Once you learn to avoid the bugs, it's pretty stable ;) Version 6 seems better than version 5 so far.
- Lots of nice features that make the system easy to use, like duplicating records and bringing up data.
- Is owned by an editor with investment and a business model. Probably has a better chance of being developed further more quickly.

In the end we've decided to go for Open ERP v6 mainly because we believe it will be easier (cheaper) to adapt to our needs in the future (including interfacing with other systems) and to support.

What would be great is if Open ERP's functionality could be brought up to the same standard as ADempiere/Compiere. That would tip the scales very highly in Open ERPs favor.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 13, 2011 1:22 am 

Hello Rohan,

I think you sum it up pretty well. Tend to agree with all what you said. Although there is a powerful central editor in OpenERP, it doesn't mean they "own" the ERP. The AGPL license OpenERP brings you many guarantees - including against re-licenses attempts. Actually because of that license many other entities invested behind OpenERP and as a result, within over 1200 modules, the editor made less than 200 so many localizations and key modules like poweremail, areroo reports, jasper connector or the magento connector are instead brought by the community, a collection of professionals that tend to balance the hegemony of the main editor.

Overall, I think OpenERP has been made by lot's of great architectural ideas compared to something like Compiere/Adempiere (modules, BPM engine, web-service at the core...), but by people with often not enough software experience (this is however sometimes all you can pay if you your open source product doesn't pay the bill) and hence lot's of small implementation mistakes that indeed translate to bug hunting costs until you manage to stabilize something that work for you.

Given the momentum it got, it seems that OpenERP SA guys are now better and tend to hire better programmers too, so all this tend to get more up to the quality standards you would expect from open source products. So just like 6.0 was a huge progress over 5.0, 6.1 is expected to be a lit more robust and hence cheaper to get working. The problem tend instead to make sure it will stay free enough, but as I said, given its aggressively open source AGPL license, there is no big margin to make it non free no matter the ambition some may have.

Instead, I'm afraid, I don't expect many things to happen at Adempiere, even not at Openbravo (even if v3 has been a surprisingly large step forward after Openbravo finally understood it was pointless to spend on the marketing as long as they had no good product to show).
In the future, I think the alternative will rather concentrate between OpenERP and its existing (Tryton) and possible future forks, meaning that if you choose OpenERP, it's rather safe as you are likely to always feel at home within those new alternatives.

Regards.

CEO and OpenERP consultant at
http://www.akretion.com
http://twitter.com/rvalyi

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2012 12:52 pm 

Hi,

could you please direct me to some more information about the BPM engine you wrote about? Is this BPMN 2.0 compatible? Where is it, how does it work, how can I import exitsing BPMN data files from other modeling tools and which tools are supported?

Thanks!

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 12 posts ]