This forum is now just an archive. Use the new Q&A website
It is currently Thu Apr 24, 2014 12:15 am

All times are UTC + 2 hours

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 2 posts ] 
 Post subject: migration options with a 5.x database on openerp 6 ?
PostPosted: Thu Jan 27, 2011 1:02 pm 

Hi,
I have been setting up an openerp database on version 5.x and invested quite a bit of time. Its mainly a R&D to see if open erp will suit the business I am dealing with. I want to move my configuration and data to version 6 but it seems that the only solution is to signup with a partner and pay for an upgrade service.

This is not really an option for me as I do not have a paying client and I am really just doing this on my own time. I have been very impressed with openerp in what I have done so far but the lack of an opensource migration process, (even if it is not supported), is a real issue and does not feel like it is in the spirit of an opensource project.

I think it is a real shame the --update=all does not work. I much prefer opensource projects that do lots of small incremental releases instead of a year long development with a release that is not backward compatible unless you pay for an upgrade service.

I can see a few options
- create a migration script my self, (whick I could do but would be good to get some pointers from openerp on the breaking changes with version 6)
- re-do all the work I have done on version 5 in a version 6 database
- start to investigate rival erp's like openbravo and move away from openerp.

I am leaning towards the redo my configuration in version 6 but if I am going to be in the same situation when openerp 7 comes out I think I would find it hard to stick with openerp.

If anyone else has written some scripts/code that can help with an upgrade that would be very useful.

Post subject: Re: migration options with a 5.x database on openerp 6 ?
PostPosted: Thu Jan 27, 2011 2:45 pm 

you can also search a solution on the forum.
terminatooor by Akretion.
perhaps a new way also with Alistek.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 2 posts ]